registering


This happened today. For three hours.

Here are some lessons that we (I) learned:
  • Bron was initially very hesitant to put some items in our registry, namely the ones +$50-100. But he succumbed. The thing about a registry is that guests are in no way obligated to purchase from a certain price point but having a wide range of prices give them the ability to give what is comfortable for them. There should be a balance of your lowest and highest priced items combined being about the same amount as your mid-range priced items, kinda like a 1:2:1 ratio maybe? Or I'm just making that up. What I'm saying is, none of you actually has to get us the 47" HD flat screen we put on there... One of those things we scanned for "fun". But if someone who can afford it wants to, go for it! Kidding, kidding. Kinda.
  • Don't assume your future husband to have no input when it comes to interior design, even if he has never expressed an opinion in the past. Also, remember that for the most part, guys cannot distinguish the different shades of colors. So when you say you want to incorporate purple into the living room, his opposition is only because his mental color reference is Barney. 
  • Listen. If you explode into a tornado of words and explanations about What do you mean you can't see it in your head?!, pause, breathe, and let him talk. I was in what I assume was auto-pilot, meaning I expected Bron to have little opinion on most of what we purchased. I was wrong, and I'm glad. I enjoy and appreciate that my future husband wants to share his thoughts and ideas on what our humble little apartment will look like. It will make our home feel more special if we both can see the end result come together from collaborative ideas.
  • Check the return policy of the store you register in. Almost all that I have seen will give store credit for returns, so if your bathroom coordinates don't end up feeling quite right or you end up with two toasters, trade them in for store credit and get what you really want. Bron and I had a blast with the registry gun taking turns. There were a couple areas of the store that he was particular about being the chooser, as was I. But as we went through the aisles, I was able to see the beginnings of our new home come together. That was the very best part. 
  • Have fun. Put whatever you want on your registry list. Do the essentials, but don't forget to add some fun things in: games, movies, or just a random item to make a laugh. Enjoy the time together more than anything. Bron and I don't get large doses of that too often at the moment with us both working 40+ hours a week. When the day is done, it's the time spent together that matters. Not the items on the list.
There you have it. Don't forget to always xoxoxo. :)

Comments

  1. Haha I loved reading this, it reminds me of when Andrea and i went registering. Fun times

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts