#37weeks #isitoveryet


This is my current blogging position. No joke. Welcome to Weeks 37-40, life on a birthing ball!

Guys, I'm not gonna lie. Things are getting tough and I'm feeling a bit weepy/sorry for myself. It sucks, but I'll own up to it. I have almost had it and I've still got at least three weeks left, if I'm lucky and don't go past my due date. Bronson keeps reminding me of all the blessings we have to count for this pregnancy. He's my reality check and my rock. Honestly, I know for a certainty that I could not have gotten through this without him/on my own. It blows my mind that there are women out there who do this by themselves. Kudos to you, solo mommas. You are a special kind of hero in my book. 

A couple updates since our last post. We were able to make a last-minute switch to a midwife! One crazy Saturday afternoon a few weeks ago, I found out that my health insurance totally switched to an entirely new provider. I am on my dad's health insurance through his work, so I really had no heads up or say in the matter. After spending the weekend freaking out, because everything was closed until Monday, I found out that we had midwives available in-network. I was so excited and, after talking to Bron, made the switch and have been so incredibly happy we did. I've enjoyed my midwives more in the last three or four weeks of having them than I have enjoyed all of my OB visits combined. So much more personal and they are on the same page as us with our birth preferences. Truly a wonderful blessing that I am glad to have late in pregnancy than not at all. 

We had another ultrasound/growth scan at 35 & 1/2 weeks to check baby's size. We were pleasantly surprised and overjoyed when the u/s technician switched to 4D and we got to see our baby boy's sweet features for the first time. I am so in love already. 

We also have added another person to our birth "team"-- a doula! Now, before I go on, I realize many of you just went, "HUH?" Hear me out. A doula is a woman who is trained and experienced in childbirth and provides physical and emotional support before, during, and after birth. They do not do anything medical, like perform exams or deliver babies, but are well-educated and informed on all the happenings of birth. Doulas are the ultimate support, 100% on your side, there to help you stay on track, and be as comfortable as possible through techniques like massage, acupressure, aromatherapy, and constant emotional support. We were fortunate enough to find a doula willing to work pro-bono because we will be her first birth towards meeting her certification. It's win-win for everyone and I am very excited and grateful to have her along. 

Lastly, we finished our HypnoBirthing classes! What a wonderful experience it was. Those five weeks went by so quickly. I looked forward to them every week, as did Bronson. I am so glad that we took the time (and spent the money) to get the information and practice. I don't think I could have gotten near as much out of it had I only read the book. Our instructor was phenomenal and we truly enjoyed and appreciate all her knowledge and experiences that she shared. Bron and I feel so much more prepared now than we did prior to our classes. Now I just hope that we can remember and apply all that we have learned! 

So yeah, I'm sure to many of you, we sound a bit "crunchy/granola". Natural birth, no drugs, HypnoBirthing, midwife, doula, yadda yadda. For the most part, our families are cool with what we are doing, either supportive or just really curious to see what happens since we are carving our own trail as no one in any of our families has done birth this way. We have a couple skeptics/eye-rollers, which is to be expected. But as I've come to learn that when it comes to anything and everything in pregnancy (and in life), everyone wants to tell you their opinion and believes they are right. What matters is what I feel to be right in my heart, because everyone's truth is different. We are hopeful that this will work for us and I visualize it in my head daily. I know things can change in a matter of seconds, the "plan" goes out the window, but what won't change for me is that our birth closes with my son in my arms and my husband at my side. 

Guhhh, I seriously can hardly wait. 

Now for fun, I came across a friend's blog who included this at the end of her posts while she was pregnant.

Week: 37
 Total Weight Gain: +25 lbs from pre-pregnancy
Stretch Marks: Yep, everywhere. My belly looks like a watermelon. A very striped watermelon
Best Moment This Week: Finally bought our baby swing and pack n play -- the last "big" items on our list!
Missing: Sleeping in my pre-pregnancy body. I'm more than happy to sacrifice the sleep for baby and when he's here, I know I won't sleep more than I do. But this bump is enormous and heavy to maneuver.
Movement: Kid is crazy at bedtime, and then random bursts of energy throughout the day, but otherwise pretty chill.
Symptoms: Swollen everything
Food Cravings: Nothing really, maybe acidic/tart fruits based off of what my fridge looks like right now (strawberries, pineapple, blackberries, kiwi, grapefruit)
Causing Nausea: Heartburn/acid reflux in the morning sometimes, not always. Gotta be careful when I brush my teeth.
Labor Signs: Nothing yet, except lots of pressure low in my pelvis. He's head down and getting situated.
Belly Button: Starting to pop!
Wedding ring:  Off as of two weeks ago
Moods: Anxious, weepy, excited. Emotional roller coaster doesn't even begin to cover it
Next Doctor's Appointment: Monday with midwife Ramona!
Looking Forward to: Some kind of "real" sign that labor is coming and that I won't be eternally pregnant, as I am inclined to believe.
Baby Facts: He's a little over 6 lbs and about 19 inches long, last u/s about a week and a half ago showed he is measuring average in every way! Which we are grateful for, because Bron was a HUGE baby.

Comments

  1. It's getting closer every day and before you know it you will be holding your little son in your arms. It is the most incredible moment of your life! I hope he comes on or before your due date and goes easy on you. Hang in there and know that I am so grateful to you for carrying and loving my grandson. Love you and Bronson too! By the way, I am using Landon's laptop and this is Mamma Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there! There are only a few weeks left (at most) and you sound extremely prepared and have great people on your side. These last weeks are definitely rough, but you're doing awesome! Keep it up, and before you know it you'll have a healthy baby boy in your arms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are almost there! I'm Heather and I have a question about your blog! If you could email me when you get a free moment that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, I don't have an email for you, but you can email me at alexandbronstevens@gmail.com with whatever question you have. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts